About this Guide
This guide gives you tips on using the Literature Resource Center.
Advanced Search - is the default and recommended search
Keyword/ Narrow by Subject
- Synonyms - if you don't get good results or you get too few try synonyms
- Narrow By - the yellow tool bar on the left of the results screen indicates subjects that appear most frequently in your results
- Selecting a relevant subject may find better results than on the full keyword search
- If there you got few results and no subject headings it means you may want to try searching with a synonym.
Literary Criticism - articles about a particular literary work:
- In the pull-down menu select "Name of Work"
- If you are looking for a theme be set another search box as keyword and enter a term.
Authors - biographical information, articles about an author's life:
- In the pull-down menu be sure "Person-By or About" is selected
- Do not choose the "Author" option - it searches only for authors of articles in this database
- Important - on "Results" page be sure to select "Biographies" tab. Default is Literature Criticism.
Authors - to search for authors who share similar charactersistics such as nationality, ethnicity, literary movement:
- Select "Person Search" tab
- Select all relevant options
- Click "Search" button at bottom of screen.
- Publication century - finds articles that contain literary criticism, biographical or other topics from a particular century. Example: If you want to explore character development in Victorian novels you would select the 19th century
- Publication date - limits to the years when articles in this database were written.
Chat with RU Librarians is offline.