About this guide
This guide is meant to serve as a quick look-up tool to help you create references and in-text citations for the most commonly used types of sources.
To use this guide:
- Have the articles, books, reports, etc you will be using in your paper or project.
- To create a reference or in-text citation for your paper pick the appropriate category from the "I want to cite..." pull-down menu.
- A note about Websites: almost all of our sources these days are found on the Web, but the Websites tab should only be referred to for items which are not articles, books, or reports. This is often a judgment call.
- Each page lists the rules and examples for creating references and in-text citations. Read through all the rules and explanatory text that is on the page. We tried to keep it simple, but if you skip over the text, you're liable to make mistakes in your references.
- The other pages of this guide provide further details about how to cite within your paper and choose the right margins, font, etc for your document.